Best gas offset smokers prove to be the best ones not only because they are easy to use but also because they provide you a great deal at an affordable cost. Wood chips, pellets, and chunks are used here to produce the smoke. Best propane smokers are somewhat like the cabinet in their structure and may remind you of high-school lockers.
These propane smokers are easy to be carried too since they weigh less and do not need access to electricity. At the bottom, you will find a burner along with a number of vents which is usually made of brass or cast aluminum. Above it, there are three or four shelves where the food has to be kept for smoking.
At the top there is a chimney or damper or both of them through which the smoke can emit, to prevent soot from spoiling the meat.
Why Should You Buy a Gas Smoker?
The advantages that a gas offset smoker offers over a grill are many. Here are the benefits that gas smokers offer you and for which you should buy one:
- Easy to Operate: These smokers are easy to operate, and you do not need to put any manual effort for grilling. You just need to press the switches and monitor the temperature. It will do the rest on its own, with perfection!
- Authentic Wood Flavor: It uses authentic wood chips. You can select from different types of wood depending on the type of food that you are cooking. This will help in bringing an authentic smoky flavor to the food.
- Fast Grilling: The process does not take much time to be completed. Just put the meat inside, press the relevant buttons and the meat will be cooked within some time. It will take just a few hours for the meat to be prepared.
With so many top smoker grills available to select from, you may feel confused when it comes to choosing the best smoker for yourself. To make your job easy, we have come up with this buying tips to help you select the best propane smoker for you and your family.
BEST Propane Smoker reviews:
Smoke Hollow 38202G 38-Inch 2-Door Propane Gas Smoker:
The Smoke Hollow product with 2-Door is one of the best propane gas smokers and smoker reviews available in the online market. It has got enough of space for all of your meats and vegetables with a smoking cabinet capacity of 3.4 cubic feet. It will also enable you to cook the entire piece of meat like pork ribs or large turkeys at one go. It will also allow you to add water and wood through the two doors present, while the cooking procedure is going on, without pausing it. The four chrome-plated cooking grates which are present can be adjusted to smoke different foods at different temperatures, as required. It has the provision of reaching the cooking temperature in spite of the temperature of the outside being hot or cold according to seasons, and the best thing is that the brass burner inside ensures that you do not have to sit and monitor it continuously.
- 3.4 Cubic Feet Cabinet Cooking Capacity
- 4-Chrome Plated Cooking Grids with Multiple Adjustment Levels
- Sausage hanger included
- Fuel type: LP gas output at 20,000 BTUs
- Push-button ignition system
- Upper and lower vents for maximum temperature control
- External temperature gauge
- It takes a few minutes to reach the required temperature.
- The doors might not seal all the way.
- The flame often goes out, which may cause fire hazards and accidents.
- It is very difficult to keep the smoke below 220 degrees.
- You might not get a cover to the appliance.
Masterbuilt 20050716 Thermotemp Propane Offset Smoker:
When we were researching on gas smokers and smoker reviews, Masterbuilt is a name you definitely cannot ignore. While traditional gas smokers have a number of demerits, this is a product with a newly-designed body, a thermostat-mediated temperature controlling system and temperature sensors which control the burner, eliminating the need to manually adjust the temperature while you cook, thus preventing burning of your barbeque due to inexperience. It has excellent features that you will simply love like if your gas smoker gets too hot, Masterbuilt Thermotemp Propane Smoker has a safety valve system which will extinguish the burner to avoid any accident due to overheating of the machine. So if you are a rather forgetful person who tends to forget to switch off appliances, this Masterbuilt smoker has your back! Another great feature of the product is in order to ensure that meats are thoroughly and evenly cooked, it has a dual-door design that will allow you to add wood chips to your gas smoker during cooking, without causing loss of heat or smoke from the cooking cabinet. You also have enough of space inside to cook for large BBQ parties and also an indicator that will tell you the amount of propane in it.
- Thermostat controlled temperature – no need to manually adjust as with traditional propane smokers, and no electricity required.
- Safety valve shuts off burner if flame is extinguished
- Tank fuel level gauge is present that will indicate the amount of propane in the tank
- Temperature sensor controls burner to maintain the desired temperature so as to not burn the meat when you aren’t looking.
- Dual-door design for adding wood chips without losing heat
- Slightly bigger viewing window than required which could have been small to give it a sleek look
- Racks could be sturdier in the cabinet.
- Difficulty in cooking heavier meats due to weak racks.
Smoke Hollow SH36GW Gas Smoker with Window, 36″:
With a really easy usage technique here is another Smoke Hollow product making it to our list of best propane smoker reviews. The Smoke Hollow pro series 36″ sized cabinet smoker is one of the best all-rounder products currently getting its edge in the online market worldwide. It has got a cooking capacity that will help make you a backyard BBQ like a professional in your first time, by producing a delicious, smoke-flavored meat and to your favorite veggies resulting in a successful cooking venture and a good culinary reputation for you, so that you and your family will be looking forward to your next cookout. It comes with new and improved features that include a large viewing window which is easily cleanable with heat indicator, to avoid over-heating of the BBQ and a large wood chip tray in which you can load some extra for that smoky flavor, features that will be an instant hit at your next outdoor party. There are fully-adjustable chrome-plated cooking grids which will let you add that magical smoky flavor to a variety of foods including different types of meats like, pork, poultry, wild game birds as well as juicy fishes and even the vegetables! The LP gas heat source will find the ideal smoking temperature range and smoke for you throughout all seasons despite changes in environmental temperature.
- Large, easy to clean, tempered glass fitted in viewing window
- Large capacity of the external-loading wood chip tray for smoky flavor
- 4 chrome-plated cooking grids which can be adjusted to required cooking heights
- Porcelain-coated water and wood pans
- Adjustable gas or heat controls the stainless Steel burner with the push of a button.
- Might take some time to assemble for beginners.
Masterbuilt 20050116 Portable Gas Smoker:
Propane smoker review: Many steps we have come from the time of smoking meat in the old-school way to the recent years, where the best gas smokers are at your service to make your outdoor BBQ experience a delight for you. This electric smoker is without a doubt one of the more promising ones and one of the easiest one to carry and to install. Though we have a variety of products available online, this Masterbuilt product is one of the few smokers that are actually compact enough and suitable for traveling. The product though bulky is ideal for barbequing during hiking, camping or fishing trips and of course in your backward. There is a temperature gauge on the door as well as a water pan and a removable wooden chip tray for loading additional chips to encourage the smoke while cooking. The heat controls are quite easy to use, as they have just three settings: low, medium and high without giving rise to further complications. The product has sturdy metal legs for it to stand on and they can be folded for transportation purposes. The appliance produces clean smoke and does not stink up the whole area to a point where your neighbors might have an asthma attack or call the call the fire department.
- 5,000 BTU stainless steel burner
- Uses 1 lb. propane cylinder (Adapter for 20lb. tank sold separately)
- The easy-to-read temperature gauge on the door, removable wood chip tray, and water pan.
- Smoker legs easily fold under during transport and storage
- Ideal for camping, tailgating and road trips.
- The warranty only covers the product for manufacturing defects only for a period of 90 days. Additionally, it does not cover for rusting, damage for the paint finish.
- Some of the consumers have also reported that the product is not well insulated as it should be, thus making the cooking procedure slower during the cold seasons.
Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker with Viewing Window and RF Remote Control, 40-Inch:
When it comes to best gas offset smokers, Masterbuilt is a name which you will come across time and again. With a compact design and best-in-class performance its product will stand out in terms of features and action when compared with the other appliances in the online market belonging to the same price range. Their digital electric smoker is perfect for armatures and the pros alike. It’ll be the best for your taste-buds right in your own backyard, without the annoyance of charcoal or propane, thus eliminating the risks of fire hazards. Just plug in this smoker, set the temperature controls manually and wait for the feast!
- Four chrome-coated smoking racks.
- Built-in meat probe thermometer for perfect cooking.
- Integrated thermostat temperature control for even, consistent smoking temperatures
RF remote controls on/off, temperature, time, light and monitors internal meat temperature
- High output LED lights to see the status of the food in low light when door is open
- Front control panel design allows you some more space on top of the smoker
- Patented side wood chip loading system to add chips without opening the smoker door during cooking
- Removable water pan, drip pan, wood chip tray, and front access grease pan for easy cleanup
- Top air damper for smoke control
- Adjustable door latch helps to retain heat(best one)
- Rear-mounted handle and wheels for easy mobility.
- Perfect fit for indoor and garden
- Machine often cuts off during preheat.
- Temperature is often higher than what is displayed.
- It often fails to create the required amount of smoke.
- Some users complain that the back wall catches fire at times and may be dangerous to use.
Each of these smokers has its own share of pros and cons as it is evident from the above propane smoker reviews. So now it’s your call to select the best propane smoker from among them depending on the features that you prefer and the qualities that you can compromise with! Happy shopping!
Factors to Consider for Buying the Best Propane Smoker
Here are the factors that will help you to select the best smoker grill:
Construction: Check the quality of construction of the smoker. Most of the gas smokers use a poor quality construction owing to their low price. However, you should go for one that has a comparatively better construction which will make it durable and sturdy. Decide which of the features offered by the smoker you are ready to compromise and which ones you cannot do without.
Portability: It is an important factor to consider as people prefer taking their smoker outside while cooking and bringing it inside once the job is over. So it will be great if the smoker you buy comes with wheels(Available on the market).
Stability: Look for a model that has splayed legs as this would offer protection against wind and provide stability to the smoker.
Temperature Range: The best gas smokers should be designed in such a way that they can be operated at a wider temperature range. This would allow for versatility and ensure that you can cook a variety of dishes using the smoker. Most of the models offer you a temperature range between 250F-275F. Some, however, offer you temperatures below and above that. We would suggest you to go for one that permits 225F since this is the ideal temperature for cooking meat. If you cannot find one, there’s nothing to worry. Meat will cook fine in the range of 250-275F. And if you are a person who seeks perfection, you may try a simple trick with the smoker. Use ice instead of water, and you will see the temperature drop down below 250F.
You may also reduce the amount of gas, though it involves risk and hence should be avoided.
Installation: Check if the propane smoker for indoor or outdoor use first. Installation of the smoker is also important. Look for one that is easy to install. Check whether there is an instruction manual provided for the purpose of installation and the users have been able to accomplish the task by reading the same. User reviews can prove helpful in this respect.
Design: Today the gas smokers come in a number of designs some of which prove to be helpful for you in this respect. For instance, you will find smokers that have separate doors in the lower and upper parts. The doors are thin such that the heat and smoke can pass through them. Before buying them, you should check that they seal properly.
Size: This should be determined by your requirements. Those who are looking forward to feeding a number of people should buy larger smokers while those who prioritize portability should pick a small bbq smoker.
Price: Though most of the best gas smokers come at reasonable rates, you can still differentiate among them on the basis of size and can buy the one that suits your requirements. You will easily find some of the best offset smoker under 500.
Materials: The materials used for making the smoker are also important as quality materials help in reducing smoke leakage and grease leakage.
Size of the Burner: The size of the burner must be proportionate to the gas smoker cabinet. There should also be a protected burner drum that will help the heat to be distributed uniformly.
Easy to Clean: The ease of cleaning the smoker is also an important factor to consider as no one would have much time to invest in the maintenance of the burner. Go for models that come with features like grease pans and removable racks. Also, the racks must be dishwasher safe so that you do not have to put much effort into cleaning them.
Snap-Ignition System: Another great feature that people look for in most of the gas smokers today is the snap-ignition system.
Ventilation: This is another important factor to consider. There should be an adequate number of vents to allow the heat to escape and maintain a favorable temperature inside.
Capacity: You should choose the smoker depending on the amount of meat that you are likely to cook using it. If you have guests visiting you regularly, then the best offset smoker needs to be a spacious one with more number of racks inside.
Temperature Control: There should be a thermometer inside to help in controlling the temperature.
Warranty: Check what warranty offers are there in the product that you have chosen to buy.
While buying a smoker you will also require a few other things from the bbq shop without which the smoker will not function properly. Some of them include:
Water: Access to water is important for maintaining the temperature.
Thermometer: The inbuilt thermometer in these smokers is not useful for your purpose. So you should buy an additional thermometer to use along with the smoker for more effective temperature regulation.
Cover: A cover is important to protect your smoker and to ensure that it doesn’t rust. It will also make the smoker look better. So buy a good quality cover while you buy a smoker.
Rib Packs: Sadly enough, the gas smokers do not come with rib packs. And you cannot blame the manufacturers, considering the low price at which they come.
All these factors are to be considered for selecting the best propane smoker for your family.
Now, there is a commonly asked question which the buyers may have before they decide on buying a gas smoker:
Is a foul smell incorporated into the food because of the Methyl Marcaptan?
Methyl marcaptan is used in the smoker to alert you in case of leakage. Since propane is a colorless gas, methyl marcaptan’s foul smell will help you to understand that there is a gas leakage and help you to take necessary steps.
Some people fear that the smell of marcaptan can be absorbed into the food, thereby spoiling it. This concept is wrong since, on burning, the methyl marcaptan turns into sulfur dioxide, and this gas further turns into sulphuric acid by combining with water.
The small amount of sulfur that may be combined with food is negligible and is, in fact, this amount of sulfur present in the food naturally. Also, the onion and spices that you add to the food will overpower it, and hence you don’t need to worry about the presence of sulfur at all!
So this was all about buying smokers. Now that you have got a fair idea of the whole thing let us move on to the reviews of five best propane offset smokers in the market based on the essential features.